How's that for a size 14 in the pristine red dust!
It was desolate! Seriously hardly a blade of grass. No living vegetation to speak of just dirt and rock! We later discovered the black rock is iron stone. Nathan had thought some careless road workers had carelessly spread blue metal around the whole of the interior of Australia! And now that I think of it we were on a dirt road! So how on earth could it be blue metal????
Then just after the moon plains were the elusive Breakaways! And am I glad we found them!
Then just after the moon plains were the elusive Breakaways! And am I glad we found them!
The Breakaways were my highlight of the trip. I am not sure why I felt such an affinity with them, I just did!
The breakaways is a place of secret men's business. It is a special place for young boys, perhaps a place for initiations.
I felt good that i had taken my young boys to the place for young boys. Although I shouldn't have really been there! But it was all good, perhaps I was a young boy in a previous life!
These hills had so many differently coloured rock and sands in them and all in the one hill!
White man calls these the salt and pepper castles.
We headed back to town and discovered we had turned back less than a kilometer from the turn off earlier than morning!
We had our breaky, packed up and headed off to cross the border and meet my brother.
We were a little disappointed to cross into the Northern Territory and for it to be raining and as cold as it was when we left Canberra!
I cheered up a little when the speed limit increased to 130kms! Even though it is the legal speed limit you still feel naughty travelling that fast! And do you know that only one car overtook me the whole trip and it was a cop car! He was doing at least 150km/hr!
We made it to Elrundie just before lunch. We had prearranged to meet my brother there but we had had no phone reception for a day and a bit so we were just crossing our fingers he would be there!
Turns out he was waiting for us in the pub. Took us a while to find him though. But he did rescue us from the old duck who just had to come up and say hi to us because we were from Canberra. She was from Canberra, well actually she was from Captains Flat, well actually not Captains Flat but just out of Captains Flat! Seriously the outback is teeming with lonely old people! Whilst this lovely lady was chatting to us her husband was chewing off the ear of another travelling couple! We were the youngest travellers by about 30 years! And grey nomads are their own secret little club. They all gather together by their caravans and chat about where they have been, where they are going, what roads are open (we were asked if we knew if the Oonadatta track was open? What? We have a girly 4 wheel drive (explanation later!) how would we know!)
Anyway it was interesting to experience the grey nomads! I just wished they would drive their caravans a little faster!
It was nice to chat to Noddy for a hour or two. We got this awesome photo. Matthew is giving Nod some gorgeous rabbits ears which he really deserves. Noddy's karmic payback is going to be his 3 rambunctious nephews!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!