Thursday, 14 October 2010

Kakadu

So we had a flying trip through Kakadu. We left late from Mum and Dad's and thought we would drive through on our way to Katherine.







Again as with most of our trips we did Kakadu super fast and got only the briefest overview. I've told Nathan it is just a taste so we can work out what is worthwhile to go back and see in detail. He says there has never been anything said about a return visit! I'll keep working on him!


















The photo over to the side is a natural alcove at Anbangbang. The temperature went from being stifling hot to beautiful and cool. I could understand why it was such a popular resting spot int he dry season.








This croc is called Brutus and his home is at a place called Corroborree Pub. It was a bit frightening that as we got closer his mouth got wider!








White man call this Nourlangie Rock. It real name is Nuwurlandja. The lower part where we visited is called Anbangbang. It has amazing rock art there. Which is what I had been aching to see all trip. So even though we were running late we decided to do the quick walk of 2kms (hey, the boys proved they could do 6 no worries, 2 is nothing!) And I am so glad we did. The art was amazing and the dream time stories that went with them amazing too!

Usually you are unable to take photos of rock art but it is allowed at Anbangbang. I wonder if it is allowed as the clan that presided over this area has died out and the only way of passing on the stories now is through the storyboard throughout the walk. And the rock formations were amazing too. There are subtle differences in rock formation and colouration throught the top end. Kakadu was a bit more subtle in colour than King Canyon but no less stunning.


We had lunch at Jabiru. We had chicken sandwiches on the banks of a creek (which looked like a river to me!). I didn't sit down and kept repeating the mantra "You are faster then a crocodile on land!" I also kept planning how i could run whilst carrying three children (the husband can fend for himself!). I made sure noone dropped any chicken pieces, after all, all of the crocs we had seen had been fed chicken! But we didn't spot any crocs! Much to the boys disappointment. Jabiru was to be the last chance we had of seeing a croc in the wild.





This tree is a Kapock Tree. When they are in flower crocs are finding a place to lay their eggs. When there is flowers and fruit on the tree they are laying eggs and when the fruit has burst open the eggs are hatching. Nana Bev and Grumpy got the boys an open Kapock seed each to take home to their classes.



This was to be the only water buffalo we saw. They are an introduced pest and much has been done to get them under control.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!