Tuesday, 19 October 2010

King Creek Station

On our way to Kings Creek Station we happened upon the site of the Henbury Meteorite site. We knew they boys would find it exciting so we stopped off and walked around the rim of the crater. It is an amazing thought that 4700 years ago a meteor slammed into the earth right where we were standing!





Can you see the pretty rainbow?







Now the road to Kings Creeks Station was dirt, the reddest dirt you have ever seen. I tried to get a photo of the dust we were making but he wind was going the wrong direction.


It was along this road that we passed through our first of many indigenous communities. At the entry of all of the communities the government has erected signs that say alcohol and what i read as photography is prohibited. Well that all made sense to me as I am aware the indigenous culture believes an image captured can steal a soul so I put my camera away.
Well for the next 150kms we passed through the most amazing scenery in all of Australia. There were flocks of thousands of black cockatoos, millions of native budgies. Red dirt as far as the eye could see. The whole time we kept saying is only we could take a photo.....well we get to the next community at a slower speed and I was able to completely read the sign that prohibits alcohol and pornography!! Nathan would not drive back the 150 kms over red dirt, corrugated and dull dusty roads so i could take the photos that i had missed out on!

Now you might ask why the government has banned alcohol and pornography. I know I questioned it. I can understand the alcohol part although i am still trying to figure out why indigenous people are so susceptible to it but I really couldn't understand the pornography. Later it was explained to us that now that indigenous society can no longer be nomadic, they are essentially confined to the "community" it has meant the way their culture operates is completely changed. Men no longer spend their whole day hunting, this has lead to an increase in "leisure" time which can lead to men accessing pornography which has then led to an increase in sexual abuse throughout the communities. The governments hopes by banning it, it will help to reduce the instances of abuse.

I have many, many opinions on the way indigenous culture has been forced to change but it is far too convoluted to discuss on this blog!


Anyway! The George Gill Ranges lay to the north of the kings creek station. They were simply stunning. Once again it was the colour of the landscape that had me captivated. It seriously changes colour with each passing minute!

























Our first night at the Station we had a BBQ dinner purchased from the station. What kind of station did we stay at you ask??? It was a camel station! Guess what we had for dinner?

































Even I had a try! It just tasted like a meat patty!
















After dinner we had a good old camp fire. The boys toasted marshmallows with Camilla from big Brother and her young family! It was a great night just chatting around the campfire!
















These were our "luxury" tents. Well they were purely for the fact that had tile floors and proper beds. They were singles and there were only two to a tent which meant that Nathan had to sleep in one with Ben and Ryan and I got one with Matthew. As Matthew was rising so early (like 4am!) I would share with him so the others could have a sleep in. We weren't counting on the massive storms that swept through and resulted in Ben ending up in Nath's bed!

Speaking of the storm we had one each night we were there. They were massive. On the second night we were driving back from Uluru and we were rushing because we had booked into to see the camel show at the station. I have never in my life seen such big lightning! Like i have seen lots of strikes but these strike took up the whole sky and being outback sky it was huge anyway!


One of the great bits about the station was the station breakfast! Full bacon and eggs each morning. The first morning we ate with an American from Texas. He himself had three boys so he enjoyed spending some time with them. He even enjoyed Matthew's singing in the shower at 7am!
















Ben was a fan of breaky! Here he is eating Matthew's after polishing off his own!



The morning we were to head off we gave the boys a camel ride. After seeing the camel show the night before they were really keen to give it a go.

So they got kitted up....



















And off they went!



























I don't think they enjoyed it at all! NOT!! Leroy, the guy that led the camels was a real bushie and we had a great chat with him about all sorts of things! He was a real gem!




































No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!