My friend Cid, who I often mention in my posts, has this week opened a can of worms in the Rickard household. She was telling me earlier in the week about a blow up in her household about her husband helping around the house. So I casually asked what tasks he actually assists with around the house. And there were many! He does most of his own ironing, cleans the bathrooms better than Cid herself among other things. Well that then got me thinking about what my own husband does around the house. And while I cant quite say he does nothing he definitely has the smaller share of the household chores. I would love to list who does what here on this very public blog but approaching my husband about it in private was bad enough. It all comes down to the fact that Nathan believes he does enough just by bring home the money. He feels the few extras he does around the house tip the balance in his favour. (His "chores" are spending some quality time with his children for example bath time. I feel its a time for male bonding time and a chance for the boys to catch up for the day. He however feels it is a massive chore and wonders about the house for the majority of bath time resulting in a flooded bathroom!)
Anyway, is it fair that Stay at home Mums should have to do all of the household chores and the raising of the children? Was I terribly harsh to ask my husband to stack the dishwasher after dinner every night? Is being solely the financial provider enough? What is the division of labour in your house? Who is willing to hop in this can of worms with me?
I think your husband does enough around the house as is! In fact he deserves a back rub, his slippers and a glass or port brought to him every night!!! He works so hard!
ReplyDeleteNathan - I mean anonymous
Jenni this one certainly is a can of worms! I keep asking Michael to do more but when he does he does it poorly or on his time frame which is far too stretched if you ask me so I just do it myself. I think he agrees with Nathan's philosophy except he forgets that I am working (paid) about 32 hours a week as well as doing the management of day care (a much bigger job than I thought!), bills, groceries, clothes washing and ironing and more. He has started to cook twice a week (I usually decide what we will have and do the chopping ready for him to throw together) and he will feed the dogs and bath Ollie once in a while. His main job is outdoors and bins. So far he mowed when we came home from Brisbane and that is it! No dog poo pick up, sweeping, mopping decks, NOTHING! Now I am covered in worms... thank goodness Michael doesn't read this blog! Did I mention he is off camping this weekend with the boys because he needs a break!
ReplyDeleteHaha!! The other night my darling husband and I were discussing how to reduce the cost of the household, specifically our electricity bill. My comment was that I am very conscious about having a dryer and only ever use it if absolutely necessary.....Craig's comment...do we have a dryer??!! This was then followed by a full family excursion to our laundry to discovery what multiple appliances actually exist in there!!!
ReplyDeleteGirls I am seriously thinking about staging a strick. This strike may very well include a short holiday somewhere. If Michael can go camping so can we! Hands up if you want to join me ladies! (Cept I dont do camping and was actually thinking resort in sunny qld somewhere!) No husbands or kids allowed!
ReplyDeleteActually, he does most of everyone's ironing, not just his own! I only iron the scary things- skirts, which I rarely wear, and a top or 2 that might look like it's delicate!
ReplyDeleteHaving said that, even though he's currently in the kitchen cooking, I cannot tell you the last time he cleaned the bathroom!!!
I'm in... but can I bring my bubby? I value his life and don't quite trust Michael to feed AND clothe him (did I say that out loud?)
ReplyDelete