I was pretty sure I was having contractions. They weren't painful or regular. But I was still pretty sure I was in labour with my soon to be second child. My due date was the following day so I wasn't overly surprised. What I was surprised about was being taken out to dinner whilst in labour. You see my brother in law was in town for a swim meet and he wanted to take us out to dinner. I ummed and ahhed but was then convinced to go. The whole time I was too terrified to get out of my seat in case my waters broke (seeing that during ones dinner would NOT be appetising!) But thankfully my waters did not break during dinner. Although conversation was mostly centred around contractions and how could my husband and brother in law bring me out in public when i was almost nearly certain I was in labour! When we got home I went to bed and was really surprised to wake up he next morning still pregnant. Once again Brenton came around to spend some time with us. During the day we went for a stroll with Matthew around the block but mostly we hung out at home. I was still almost nearly certain I was having contractions. But as they were nothing like Matthew's I continued on. (Matthew's labour was text book, waters breaking, contractions starting and progressing evenly, resulting in child birth!) Anyway the day progressed until I got to the stage that I really thought I may be in labour and maybe I should ring the midwife to see what she thought. Her advice was to have a lovely bath and see if that got things moving. So I did and then I was pretty sure that yes i was in labour. Brenty left then and got on the bus for Canberra. We had dinner and I put Matthew to bed and I thought maybe I should go into the hospital to have an examination to see if they thought I was in labour. We said bye to my Mum and told her we would be home soon.
Anyway it was around 7pm on the 20th of February when we arrived at the hospital and at 8.34pm Ryan William Rickard was born! Nathan rang my mother and she said not to rush home she was fine with Matthew and then Nathan told her that Ryan had been born. Her response was "What, already!" Nathan then rang Brenton who was just stepping off the bus in Canberra to tell him the good news. (And by the way I feel really sorry for the mother of his children because he literally thinks that labour consists of a walk in the park!!!)
So that is the story of my second born child. Ryan William your birth was a pleasure and a surprise! Thanks you for the wonderful experience and all of the wonderful experiences you have continued to bring us over the last 4 years!
Aww Jen! You MAKE child birth sound like a walk in the park!! Pretty sure there was some huffing and puffing in there somwhere!! Wishing Ry Ry a very special 4th birthday and hope his day is filled with gifts, cakes and family!
ReplyDelete