We have had a really busy week. It's time to catch up!
Thursday we went to watch the Olympic Torch relay. The boys were so excited. As Matthew told me "he has never seen that before!" And seeing as the boys are going to miss out on seeing Uncle Brenty in Beijing we thought it would be great to see the torch.
I was quite nervous taking them as i didn't want to get caught up in violent protest with three small children but it was really important to us that we saw it. And I really was quite prepared to argue with anyone who wanted to take away from the occasion. The Olympics are about excellence in sport which has nothing to do with politics. And whilst i am so very sympathetic to the Tibetan peoples plight and firmly believe that China should never have been allowed to host the games. I believe there is a right and wrong way of protesting. I would prefer protesters to protest (peacefully) at the International Olympic Committee. However, I supported Senator Bob Brown's "Free Tibet" skywriting . THAT was appropriate if a protest was to take place. BUT I digress!
So we got up early and met Nath in at his work then we walked down to Kings Avenue to wait. Somehow we ended up inside the barricade and for a while we thought we would be allowed to stay. We had already nominated Nathan as the person to tackle anyone attempting to tackle the flame! But eventually the police arrived and ushered us to the "right" side of the barricades. So in the end we got to see a peaceful relay. Thanks largely to the hot police men running in front of the torch. Trust me they received as bigger cheer as the torch bearers (mostly females cheering, incidentally!) Louise Savage carried the torch ( She had to push her chair up hill, one handed! As she didn't have a torch holder as she did in Sydney) Anyhow, the boys were thrilled and we caught the Olympic spirit! Go! Go! Go! Uncle Brenty!!!
Oh and back to the protest for just one minute (maybe the title should be Protesting the protest!) I found the Chinese supporters bussed in from everywhere to be quite aggressive and somewhat bizarre. They where carrying signs saying "Welcome to Beijing!" Last I checked we were in Canberra!
Thursday we went to watch the Olympic Torch relay. The boys were so excited. As Matthew told me "he has never seen that before!" And seeing as the boys are going to miss out on seeing Uncle Brenty in Beijing we thought it would be great to see the torch.
I was quite nervous taking them as i didn't want to get caught up in violent protest with three small children but it was really important to us that we saw it. And I really was quite prepared to argue with anyone who wanted to take away from the occasion. The Olympics are about excellence in sport which has nothing to do with politics. And whilst i am so very sympathetic to the Tibetan peoples plight and firmly believe that China should never have been allowed to host the games. I believe there is a right and wrong way of protesting. I would prefer protesters to protest (peacefully) at the International Olympic Committee. However, I supported Senator Bob Brown's "Free Tibet" skywriting . THAT was appropriate if a protest was to take place. BUT I digress!
So we got up early and met Nath in at his work then we walked down to Kings Avenue to wait. Somehow we ended up inside the barricade and for a while we thought we would be allowed to stay. We had already nominated Nathan as the person to tackle anyone attempting to tackle the flame! But eventually the police arrived and ushered us to the "right" side of the barricades. So in the end we got to see a peaceful relay. Thanks largely to the hot police men running in front of the torch. Trust me they received as bigger cheer as the torch bearers (mostly females cheering, incidentally!) Louise Savage carried the torch ( She had to push her chair up hill, one handed! As she didn't have a torch holder as she did in Sydney) Anyhow, the boys were thrilled and we caught the Olympic spirit! Go! Go! Go! Uncle Brenty!!!
Oh and back to the protest for just one minute (maybe the title should be Protesting the protest!) I found the Chinese supporters bussed in from everywhere to be quite aggressive and somewhat bizarre. They where carrying signs saying "Welcome to Beijing!" Last I checked we were in Canberra!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!