Monday, 21 September 2009

Thank God that it is done!

Well what an exhausting experience that was......the Giralang community centre open day. But so rewarding! My biggest worry was that no one would show up and guess what? Hundred came!!!! We had market stalls, jumping castle, community groups, cake stall and Sausage sizzle. And they were all a success! I got to talk to people about expanding the centre. A craft group is interested and a toy library is interested. These are two things we have been trying to get started. I just wished i had remembered the camera! But seriously the night before my head was absolutely overloaded with things I needed to remember and there was much more important stuff than the camera.
But on top of the day being a success I have learnt sooooo much! I think everyone who has been involved has learnt so much. One of the husbands of one of the ladies helping said to me that he didn't think his wife had it in her to approach businesses to ask for donations. But she did! Numerous times! And she did an awesome job!
The day could have been as successful if it hadn't have been for a few special ladies! Cid worked just as hard as i did. I'm not sure she had as much fun as I did! But she kept at it even when she didn't enjoy it! The biggest cheer should be for Cate who is sooo pregnant and yet there she was on all fours digging out weeds at the working bee we had beforehand! And she walked the streets of Giralang doing letterbox drops! A huge thank you goes to a lady called Kathy. She came to the committee to say she really couldn't cook to contribute to the cake stall (not being able to cook certainly didn't stop some people making cakes for the stall however!) but what else could she do?! She was out walking the street doing box drops too! She also dropped a stack of money at the prize auction, much to her husband shock! But i am sure he will enjoy the holiday she won! Thanks also to Clare and her husband Jason. They were in charge of putting signs along the road ways. Now our budget was tiny so I had laminated A4 sheets that Nathan printed at work. Clare stuck them up with tomato stake but the wind kept blowing them down. So Clare and Jason went out EVERY day and put them back up!!! Above and beyond don't you think? Then there was Ellen who went crazy in the days before ringing every cousin and friend with a business putting the squeeze on them for a donation!
So thank you to you guys for making it the roaring success that it was! However our hard work just increased the profile of the centre which will in turn increase our job of managing the centre! So i look forward to seeing where it will take us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!