A forum that I sometimes read was asking the question what does ANZAC Day mean to you. To me it means so many things.
First of all I am the daughter of a return service man. I have been brought up with all the military rituals and ceremonies. I have done dawn services in nearly every state of Australia. I have watched my father march in so many parades. Last year I took my boys to their first dawn service at the War Memorial (we missed this morning as it was freezing and raining). I feel a great desire to pass on the ANZAC traditions to my children. The legend will only be carried on if it is passed on. Anzac day has always been about my Dad for me. A day for him. A day he needs to help him deal with the horrors he no doubt had to go through. A day to be with people who understand. So for the Rickard family we are starting to teach our boys about ANZAC day with their Grumpy. I found a great book last year called "My Grandad marches on ANZAC day" (We read it as My Grumpy marches...)
ANZAC day is a day for me to think about the men in my family who have served. Of course there is Dad, my Grandfather, my Poppy. And my great Uncle who made the greatest sacrifice for his country. So for me it is so personal. Today I have thought a lot about my Grandad's funeral, just gone 8 years ago. My Dad insisted that the last post be played at his funeral. The memory engraved in my brain as the most touching part of the funeral was my Dad in full military uniform saluting my Grandfather as the last post played. The respect my father felt for his father in law was so evident in that tribute. I will never forget that. Another ANZAC day embedded in my brain was Aunty Jo's last. Dad marched in the dawn service at the Pinegrove cemetery. Aunty Jo was ill but she really wanted to go and see Dad march. In the darkness of the morning, with him not knowing exactly where we would be he crossed the back of the parade so that he could march straight past her. His chest was puffed out proudly, marching for himself and his father. It made Aunty Jo's day. And my lifetime.
But ANZAC day is more than those memories for me. On this forum someone made a comment about anti war. However, all men who go to war do so because they have been asked to by their country. They do so in the belief they are fighting for a cause. Even if the cause isn't necessarily right, but they have been asked. Servicemen do not start wars. It is never their call to go to war. They should never bear the brunt of anti war politics. Because they have been brave and strong and believed in a cause. And done as they have been asked.
Someone asked about the relevance of ANZAC day in today society which is something I have thought hard about today. To me personally it has huge relevance. But many non military people have spoken that it means nothing to them. I cant believe how wrong they are. ANZAC's started "the Australian way". If you take pride to be an Australian then the ANZAC spirit should be your way of life. Australian's got their reputation for mateship, never say die attitude, hard work and strength from these men. Australia would still be thought of as a convict colony if not for these men. Our Australian identity has been born from the Anzac spirit. Therefor ANZAC day is relevant to every Australian and should be forever more.
Lest we forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!