Wednesday, 28 January 2009

Preparation

My friend Hayley, who writes one of favourite blogs is currently 38 weeks pregnant with her 2nd daughter. Her blog lately is all about her preparations for her huge upcoming event. As I open her blog every morning I hold my breath just waiting to hear that she has had her eagerly anticipated arrival. I find it funny because in this house we are busily preparing for a huge event too. This event as so different but yet similar. We are both looking at something that is familiar yet unknown. Her event is labour and delivering another beautiful daughter. Our event is delivering our eldest some to his first day of big school!
Matthew is jumping out of his skin in eagerness and anticipation. I don't share his reaction! (Most of the time!) I am nervous that I have spent the last 5.4 months raising our son and being the biggest influence in his life. On Monday morning at 9am i am handing over the reins to someone I don't even know! As of Monday Miss whoever it shall be will spend more hours with my son than I will. And she wont be the only changing influence. There will be 21 random children that will become nearly more important than me. I guess I should just have faith in my abilities in being his mother so far and know that I have taught him right from wrong and that will help him on his journey.
But even that isn't my greatest worry. I am going to miss my son. I love having him near me. I enjoy (95% of the time!) his personality. 5 is a great age. Starting school is almost like, thanks mums you've all done a great job through the tough years we will have your children now that they are happy, lovely civilised people now!
But I know in my heart that Matthew is SOOOO ready for school. His mind works overtime trying to work out how things work (does that sound like his Daddy?!) He tries to read the road signs. He asks how you spell things. He can read letters on shops and then asks what it says. (Today's one was exit starts with an X. When i showed him the word "exit" and asked him if he thought it still started with an x, he corrected himself, which then started a huge discussion on ee and x sounds!) Another way i know Matthew is ready for school is he is now using his brain for evil rather than good. The last 2 weeks his behaviour had been awful and it is plain to see that he is bored and unstimulated. So take that Mum! You cant even keep up mentally now!
So on Monday I will be brave. And dress him in his uniform. Pack his bag. Give him the confidence to walk into his classroom by himself. Then i will walk away and consume as much chocolate as I can! I'm not worried about crying as he walks away. I will be fine and proud and happy. I will fall apart when I pick him up and realise just how much I missed him and how independent he is now. And he will wonder what all the fuss is about!
And Hayley, I hope your labour is not too far off and you have your husband to hold your hand and it is as pain free as possible. I cant wait to hear that your 2nd little girl has arrived!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, I have spent last night and this afternoon catching up on your blog, now that you are back and posting! I cannot believe that baby boy I came to see for the first time when Nathan was working at the pool is about to start school. That tiny bundle has done a lot of growing in 5.4 years! I can tell how anxious you are about his new milestone just by your post... reread it and you'll see what I mean... I think you under-estimated how long you have been raising him for!!

    Best of luck for Monday! He's a well-adjusted boy, and he will fit right in. It's going to be so much harder on you wondering about him all day than on him! But I will certainly be looking for some counsel from you in years to come, when I face the same new challenge... by then you'll be a seasoned pro! It feels like forever away, but when I look at how fast your boys have grown up, I know that it is scarily close!

    Your kitchen renovation looks fantastic!! Those snap shots you posted make it look so easy, though I know from experience that renovating is NEVER easy... there are always hiccups! So well done on a good job.

    And I'll keep you posted re. delivery #2!! Here's hoping I'm not left hanging for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hayley and you are right. It flys past way too fast. I really really cant believe he is so grown up all ready. I plan to cope with it by spending a fair amount of time at the school myself. Just so I can have a presence. Between helping out at preschool, helping with readers at big school and being president of the preschool as well as being the pre school rep on the P & C it will be just like I havent left him at all! Thank you for your kind words and I will post photos of the big day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!