Monday, 4 August 2008

A future AFL superstar!

Yesterday Matthew got to play Auskick at half time at the Swannies V Bulldogs game. It was a huge deal. All of the AFL clubs in the district (not just ACT but south coast and country regions too!) go into a ballot THEN only 9 people are selected from the team to play. Matthew got lucky and he got the call up! He got to do something that I would have loved to do as a kid. As a little girl I loved the AFL. I am a one eyed Carlton supporter. My favourite memories of my grandfather involve us watching Hawthorn play Carlton. It was the one thing that I shared with him that none of his other grandchildren did. All my life, even when i was grown up and living on my own, when Carlton would play Hawthorn, the winner of that game would call the loser and sing a song that we had made up. At granddad's funeral I sang that song as Carlton had lost that weekend (coincidentally, since he died Carlton rarely wins!) AFL is something that I also shared with my father. He would take me to the games at princess park. One of my most vivid memories was the time Dad took me with Uncle Bob and as we were waiting to go into the ground a man talked to me about the upcoming game and his parting comment was "You're a good boy!" I had plaited pigtails hanging out from my Carlton beanie!!!!! I even introduced my in laws to AFL. One year I took them to see a Lions V Carlton game. They are now avid lions supporters. So I have a huge affection for the game of AFL.

Anyway all of this probably influenced me to choose AFL as the game that i would like my children to play. Additionally, the Auskick program is the best junior sport program around for kids . It teaches sportsmanship, it encourages parental participation and it doesn't partake in a competitive environment. ANYWAY, back to the story....... my little boy was out there in the centre running his little heart out. He chased the ball from one end of the field to the other! He got one touch of the ball (because the umpire cheated in the hope that all the kids got a touch!) He looked so cute in his uniform (even it was 3 sizes too large!) And he had a ball! We were so proud of him out there!

Matthew is the 2nd blue speck (centre of photo) no where near the ball! This was towards the end when he was getting sick of chasing the ball yet not getting to touch it!

Nath forgot the camera these were taken on his phone! Matty is in there somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!