My boys don't really like to write. So much so that after Matthew's NAPLAN test last year he told us he didn't actually need to use writing as he wouldn't be using it as a professional athlete! But unfortunately to get to the professional athlete part you need to suffer through years and years and years of school first. And schools LOVE writing!
So when we got the boys report cards this year and two out of three had a comment about their lack of written skills I decided it was time to bring out the big guns! Using the same theory I used when they were little to encourage a love of reading which has been successful we are now encouraging lots and lots and lots of different ways to write! (With reading it was lots and lots and lots of different books every night.)
After Ryan read Andy Griffins "Once upon a slime" he was keen to publish, he really wasn't keen to write something to be published he just wanted to be miraculously published. So I came up with the idea of them writing their own blogs. I have blogged for years and I love doing it. It has become a catch phrase around here when someone does anything even minutely amusing "That's going on the blog!" They are always keen to feature on the blog so I am hoping when they can feature in their own blog we may be able to spark a tolerance if not a love for writing!
So for a while I nagged, goaded, encouraged, cheered, bribed, yelled and screamed and they each have written their first piece which they have published to their own blogs. Please check them out from the links below. Add them to your favourites. And please, please comment. Teacher friends and family, correct them! Their grammar is terrible. Much like their fathers! Help them with their there, they're, theirs because trust me, by the time they have got to the publish button Nathan and I have nagged, corrected and edited to the point where they will no longer listen. And if you say it, they just might think we know what we are talking about (or in Nathan's case, making up!) and listen to us next time!
We have a plan to assist with their blogging! The plan centers around delivering a written piece each week of the holidays. Week 1 was the Christmas recount, 2 a holiday bucket list (stolen from here), 3 a lego comic strip complete with illustrations, 4 a comprehensive lego design with rationale and analysis, 5 a narrative about Elfelfa the Elf Helper and finally 1 real and 1 made up recipe complete with method.
Thank you in advance for your support and you never know they just might entertain you!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!