Friday, 9 September 2011

Karate Kids

The boys have started Karate, well actually Tae kwon do. We decided (well I) decided it was no fun dragging the boys to swimming in winter in Canberra. Especially now that Ben is out of the water for the foreseeable future with his ears! So I started looking around for something else they could do in the winter months. After a lot of discussion we decided we would give this a go.
 
 We tried a few centres before choosing to go with Impact Martial Arts. I am so impressed with their program. They really focus on increasing self esteem and confidence. They specifically teach kids how to deal with bullying and that physical retaliation is a last resort. The mantra the boys are spouting now is "Walk, talk, defend!" The boys are taught to firstly walk away. If the bullying continues they need to shout out "Stop! I don't want any trouble!" Which Ben often mistakes for "Stop!" I don't want to get into trouble!" (Guilty much Ben!) I was quite impressed when the teacher explained to the boys the most important reason for shouting this out is because it will attract an adults attention and divert the bullies attention. This week they even learnt how to try and avoid a kidnapper.
 So out of these three which one do you think has the most mongrel in him.....


 This one! He gets really into it and heaven help the poor kid that tried to bully Rye. I can completely see him going postal on the kid!
Needless to say the boys love it! We have had minimal practising on each other. Mainly because the focus is clearly on skills rather than sparing at this age. The boys are improving with every lesson, last night they all got a green thingy to go on their white belt!

1 comment:

  1. I was going to guess Ryan!! What a great sport to introduce the boys to!! I think I'll even get our girls into something along these lines when they get a bit bigger. :) Great for self-discipline too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!