Sunday, 6 February 2011

It's not easy being green!

I think we have become......greenies! I happened with out us even really knowing! Years ago we bought a grey water system. That made sense as we had harsh water restrictions and a rather large garden. Then came the vegie patch and fruit trees. The latest change has been from washing detergent to soapnuts. I have bought them from this great little online shop, called Footprint Ecostore and they are fantastic! They wash just as well as laundry detergents but without all the nasties and the water that is going through my grey is even better for my garden!We area also in the process of getting quotes for solar energy. It just so happens that our house is perfectly positioned to get a full day of sunlight. Meaning there is money to be made from my rooftop! And when you are a single income family it just makes perfect sense!
Anyway I just wanted to share some photos of our greeness! 


 Our tomatoes. These have been a bit of a blessing and a curse! For one, three little gnomes eat them before I have a chance to pick them! And then last week I found three monsters throwing green tomatoes at the neighbours house! They were marched over there pronto and made to apologise and clean up the mess!

 These are our pumpkins that the boys planted a week ago!

 Ummm....eggplants! I got a stack of seedlings from floriade but weren't sure what they were. Well we now know they are eggplants! Anyone have any eggplant recipes????

Our apple cucumbers. These cause my heart to flutter every time I eat one! My grandad grew apple cucumbers and they are my favourite. So I cant help but think of Grandad every time I eat one!

Now apparently Cleon snuck into the back yards and threw around some sunflower seeds. These two have popped up on Barkley's grave. It is quite unnerving that one of the storks has 15 heads on it!

Sunflowers have been my favourite flower for a long time. I mostly wear "Sunflowers" perfume. So for this unusual sunflower to pop up on our dogs grave has been a bit weird! We are hopping it is Barkley thanking us for helping take his pain away.

3 comments:

  1. You make us Greenies proud. Love the sunflowers and vegies! Glad you love the soapnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, are you using the soap nuts or the powder?? Do you know with the nuts if you can do back to back washes or do they need to completely dry out between loads?? Looking into this for Ethan :) Nic xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nic, I have the nuts but they come with instructions on how to make the powder....which does everything! Even dishwasher detergent! I do back to back washes. The instructions say to dunk them in hot water beforehand but i just do that for the first wash. They last for about 6 loads. Have a look at Terri's website (the link is attached to the name Footprint ecostore in the post) she has all the recepies and lots of info. I am loving them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!