Around three years ago I wrote a post listing my anxieties about sending Matthew to school. It is funny how much of a difference three years and two boys make! I am no longer worried about my perceived issues of public education. Three years down the road I can see how I still have the greatest influence over my sons but the teachers of the school provide great support. It is really evident to the boys teachers that I am concerned with their behaviour whilst they are in the teachers care. It hasn't happened often but once or twice i have spoken to the teachers or they have brought up a minor issue, which Nathan, the teacher and I have dealt with easily. I have now come to the conclusion that the best way to get the best for your kids education both academically and socially is to be present in the classroom and in the school.
Last year i was able to approach a teacher with a potential issue about Matthew, she went away and watched it for a little bit then we came together and then discussed it with Matthew. I think it is great that the teachers at Miles Franklin are so approachable and that they feel they can discuss my son with me honestly.
The other area that i think makes a difference is being active in the school community. I sit on the board so I am able to have a say in how the school is run. I also am involved in the P & C which again has me actively involved in the school. If nothing else it has my face hanging around the school a lot so that the teachers can see me and I can see what is going on with my children.
Which brings me to my final point. I was really worried about the influence of the other children on my boys. I was worried for Matthew because he can be easily led and I worried for Ryan because I thought he may be a target for bullies. But by me putting in time in the school ground I can see that Matthew may sometimes be led but he knows where that line is and he wont cross it no matter how hard he is pushed. And I no longer fear that Ryan will be bullied. Not only does the school respond well to these kinds of issues it has been something i have been able to discuss with Rye's teacher and we both came to the conclusion that he is too confident in himself to be a target.
Additionally, by being in the school I have got to know all of the kids in the classes. I can see the troubled kids and can see that my boys aren't attracted to being friends with the "naughty" kids, that is a huge relief! My final issue will be to ensure that my overconfident over sized youngest son doesn't become the bully! But that will be next years issue!
By far and away the positives of school out weigh the negatives. I am so thankful that all three boys have a thirst to learn. They are enthusiastic and eager. Not only do they enjoy the academic side of school they have blossomed in the social side of school. I would say Matthew knows the name of 95% of all the kids in the school. Both Matthew and Ryan have a huge sense of belonging in their school. It is especially evident in Matthew the way he struts through the school! The boys have great friends there, some days Matthew plays with his friends, some days he plays with Ryan some days he plays football with the year 5's and 6's! Even Ryan who is a little different has found his niche. I even like, and it sounds a little harsh, that the boys have to learn how to get along with different kinds of people. They don't get along with everyone and at times they have had to learn skills to deal with people that they might have differences with, I really feel that by the time they get out into the big bad world they will have had enough experience dealing with difficult, different and even people that they don't like to be able to survive. Because lets face it school is really just a miniature version of what is out there in society!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for visiting now show me the love by telling me what you thought!