Currently there is a whooping cough epidemic in Australia. Whooping Cough is one of those diseases that should be eradicated through immunisation. It is potentially fatal for babies and if you have never seen the effect that it has please click on this link. For a long time there were few cases but an increase in so called "Conscientious Objectors" has meant that this disease is on the rise. Some people are misinformed and believe that immunisation causes autism. This theory has been thoroughly disproven. The number of adverse reactions too has also decreased with technology and increased research and the preservatives used in this vaccines have been changed. Why should I be so hett up about this subject you ask???
Well... 33 years ago I was vaccinated against Whooping Cough. Hours later I was rushed to hospital with convulsions. These convulsions were so huge it took 3 adults to hold me down and even then the needle snapped of in my leg. At five when the time came for a booster my Mum took me to be vaccinated. I can only imagine her fear as i was stuck with this needle. However, she felt vaccination was for the greater good of the community. For the next six months I was listless and lethargic this is called a flat floppy episode and during this time I lost half of my body weight. . At this stage my parents were told by doctors that I was very susceptible to whooping cough and if I were to catch it it would be fatal and it would be quick.
After all of this you would think that I could justify not immunising my children. I could have but I didn't want to place other people's children at risk so when it came time for Matthew immunisation he was admitted to hospital to be monitored and he was fine. Now you would think that this would be the end of the story! But no! Currently at the school where the boys go, there have been three reported cases of Whooping Cough. Due to my susceptibility and in discussion with the principal I have been in essence banned from the school. The boys are immunised so there is very little risk of them bringing it home but it means that I can't go to the school. I am no longer able to walk them to their class, I can't help with reading, I couldn't wave Matthew off to his very first camp, I cant go to the school fete this weekend and I cant watch Ryan's assembly!
So while these "Conscientious Objectors" rely on the blanket immunity (that is that the majority of the population are immune and therefor there is less risk of an outbreak in the community) are putting the people most susceptible at risk and it makes my blood boil! I certainly couldn't watch my child struggle for breath like the kids in the linked video! Yet "conscientious objectors" risk this with their children and susceptible people such as myself because there are more out there like me! And are you aware that the vaccine only last for around 10 years meaning most adult are no longer immune.
Due to my current predicament we are looking for a doctor who is willing to immunise me. Nathan an I have had massive discussion and weighed up the risks. We have discussed it with my parents and even though Mum has watched me have two massive adverse reactions she agrees that we have no option but to vaccinate.
So here I am, the worst case scenario asking people to vaccinate their children as the only thing worse than what I went through is a child dying of a preventable disease like whooping cough.
Couldn't agree more Jen - we spent last winter on 'home quarantine' with Ethan. He was not permitted to go to a shopping centre or any public places for nearly 10months. We've already had the conversation with his Dr this year - if Ethan was to get WC...it would undoubtably be fatal. At this stage we are being "cautious"...if it gets worse, we'll be quarantined again. xx
ReplyDeleteHey Nic maybe me and Ethan can hang out at home together!! Make sure you and Craig have had your boosters! I am on the war path getting adults to update their boosters! Anyone I talk to these days my first question is "IS your wc up to date?!"
ReplyDelete