Nathan and I have been married for 9 years today. Usually on this day we give ourselves a high five for how well we have done. This year however, our eyes are firmly looking towards the future!
I can't remember whether it was actually before our wedding or soon after but for a very long time we have talked about how we would renew our vows on our 10th anniversary. It was a goal we set ourselves. To firstly make it to ten years and secondly still be in love enough to want to reaffirm what we feel for each other.
I know so many people that think vow renewal are silly. However there were so many things about our wedding that weren't perfect. Now that doesn't mean it wasn't the most perfect day or that it wasn't what we wanted. In fact it was the most suitable occasion for where we were at the time. It just so happens that we had SO much going on at that particular point in time. Firstly, I was pregnant with Matthew, secondly Nathan was graduating from his undergraduate degree and finally and probably most importantly we had NO money. Nathan and I are completely opposite from the rest of our generation. We didn't both have established careers and money in the bank and knew exactly who we were before we got married. I just heard audible gasps from my readers! Oh no that is a recipe for divorce I hear! We are different however because we wanted to be married the actual wedding day mattered very little to us. For me definitely it was something I had to do to get to what I wanted and that was to be Nathan's wife. (Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the hoopla of the wedding it just wasn't the be all and end all for me)
Now nearly 10 years down the track we have the funds to be able to do the bells and whistles wedding with the added benefit of knowing exactly what we expect from marriage. This time I get all of the things I had dreamed of as a little girl. And it's not the princess fairy dress of most girls, for me it is the bikini on the beach. Our plan is to renew our vows on the beach in Fiji. And whilst I no longer see myself in a bikini at the ceremony Pamela Anderson style because that ship sailed soon after Matthew ruined my waistline! There will still be the romantic setting, there will be Van Morrison playing, the waves, the sand and something even more special.... our children to witness how much their parents love each other. (And all before the age where kissing is gross! Although it is touch and go with Matthew!)
This time we will be writing our own vows. Really only because we still stand by the promises we made to each other 9 years ago in my family’s church. However now we know there are added promises that happen every day that are just as important to surviving marriage. For example, Nathan now knows he has to provide coke and chocolate at stressful times. This makes being married to me easier! I know now I need to let my husband stay up till all hours of the night watching formula 1 even when he is super tired and stressed and has a long day of work tomorrow. Nagging him to come to bed will only result in an argument! These things didn't exist 9 years ago (well the chocolate thing did!) so I couldn't promise to do them because things were different back then. Just as the promises we make to each other over the next 10 years will be different. For example, Nathan I promise at some stage over the next ten years to will return to the paid workforce.....maybe!!! Love you!
I was reading ur post with big attention! I liked it. Greetings! Wish you both good lives with each other and being best marriage ever. :)
ReplyDelete